Wednesday, March 10, 2004

I believe I have fixed my truck. When I had it fixed at the Chrysler dealership, a five star Chrysler dealership no less, they charged me $199 to install a new serpentine belt (serp belt). This was supposed to include an inspection to determine why the other belt failed. The Dodge mechanic that did the work was in the process of installing the new belt when I asked him about the tensioner. He told me it was a little off and I should replace it when I replaced the ever so slightly bent air pump pulley. They didn't have the air pump pulley in stock, and the mechanic never indicated that there was anything that had to be replaced then and there. As he said,"every thing is good". I might add, the mechanic never even inspected the tensioner until I questioned him about it's condition. I just know this by his reaction to my question. Further more, when the service manager brought me the figures to make the repairs, the only items that were addressed was, the new belt, which included removing the part of the belt that was wrapped around the fan, $199. Replacing the ever so slightly bent air pump pulley, which they didn't have in stock, $80. No mention of the part that was causing the problem.
My self and the guy across the street removed the belt, the tensioner assembly, installed the new assembly and belt in about 20 minutes. The belt is tracking on the tensioner where it is supposed to, unlike the old one, which you could see was pushing the belt out and away from the engine.
The belt that was installed at the dealership lasted just long enough for us to make it home, thank God. That's $130 worth of belts in three days. The tensioner was $120.
I'll do the tally when I have completed the story. You mean there's more?? You bet. I'll give ya all the last part in my next post. Stay tuned.